Orange County News
Pedestrian killed in La Habra hit-and-run; driver arrested after chase
LA HABRA, Calif. (KABC) -- A driver was taken into custody for allegedly hitting two women in La Habra and then fleeing the scene.
The incident occurred at Whittier Boulevard and Koopmans Way shortly before 9 p.m. Friday. The two victims were transported to area hospitals. One victim, who was thrown more than 100 yards, later died of her injuries. She was identified as 38-year-old Sandra Ceballos.
Police say Ceballos and her friend were in a marked crosswalk when they were hit by a Cadillac sedan. Witnesses say the vehicle was speeding. Officers tracked down the driver to Hacienda Heights, where a pursuit began.
The chase ended when the driver crashed into a parked car and was arrested. She was identified as 20-year-old Caroline Kim of Hacienda Heights. She was taken into custody by the La Habra Police Department.
Saturday night, family members and friends held a candlelight vigil to remember Ceballos."My girlfriend was with her last night in the crosswalk, and she also got ran over ... very blessed that she didn't have no broken bones or nothing but a broken heart," said Justin Vigil, a friend of the victim.
Ceballos' friends say they can't believe the married mother and grandmother who always had a smile on her face is gone.
"She was a really good person. She was always smiling and always brightened up the room when she came around, and she always knew how to make you smile," said Vigil.
hit and run, car chase, car crash, arrest, orange county news, leanne suter
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money 54 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 16 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 17 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 15 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed 56 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...