Orange County News
Pedestrian killed in La Habra hit-and-run; driver arrested after chase
LA HABRA, Calif. (KABC) -- A driver was taken into custody for allegedly hitting two women in La Habra and then fleeing the scene.
The incident occurred at Whittier Boulevard and Koopmans Way shortly before 9 p.m. Friday. The two victims were transported to area hospitals. One victim, who was thrown more than 100 yards, later died of her injuries. She was identified as 38-year-old Sandra Ceballos.
Police say Ceballos and her friend were in a marked crosswalk when they were hit by a Cadillac sedan. Witnesses say the vehicle was speeding. Officers tracked down the driver to Hacienda Heights, where a pursuit began.
The chase ended when the driver crashed into a parked car and was arrested. She was identified as 20-year-old Caroline Kim of Hacienda Heights. She was taken into custody by the La Habra Police Department.
Saturday night, family members and friends held a candlelight vigil to remember Ceballos."My girlfriend was with her last night in the crosswalk, and she also got ran over ... very blessed that she didn't have no broken bones or nothing but a broken heart," said Justin Vigil, a friend of the victim.
Ceballos' friends say they can't believe the married mother and grandmother who always had a smile on her face is gone.
"She was a really good person. She was always smiling and always brightened up the room when she came around, and she always knew how to make you smile," said Vigil.
hit and run, car chase, car crash, arrest, orange county news, leanne suter
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 42 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 55 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry