Orange County News
Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-run driver in Anaheim
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- A male bicyclist was killed after being hit by two cars in Anaheim Wednesday. Police are searching for one of those drivers.
The incident was reported to police around 5:55 a.m. at the intersection of Orangethorpe Avenue and Lemon Street.
The hit-and-run driver hit the bicyclist and took off, leaving the victim in the middle of the street. A second driver managed to swerve at the last minute and avoided hitting the victim.
Police say a third driver could not stop and ran over the body, dragging the victim beneath his car about 100 yards. That driver, however, did remain on scene and was cooperative.
The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. No further information about the victim was released.
Police believe he may have been riding to work when he was hit. His bicycle was torn in half with parts scattered across the street.
It's unclear whether the bicyclist or the hit-and-run driver was at fault.
The intersection was closed for about four hours following the incident.
An active search is underway for the first driver that sped off. Authorities are also looking into surveillance footage from nearby businesses to aid their investigation.
Police are asking for the public's help to provide a description of the fleeing vehicle.
"We don't have any information on what that vehicle looks like, we don't have any suspect description, driver description so we're really looking for the public's help," said Anaheim Police Sgt. Bob Dunn.
Anyone with information regarding the hit-and-run was urged to contact OC Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.
hit and run, orange county news, christina salvo
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 32 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 54 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 15 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles 5 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 59 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break