Orange County News
Passenger jumps from helicopter near Newport Beach pier, dies
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A passenger jumped out of a helicopter 500 feet above water off the Newport Beach coast Tuesday afternoon.
The only other person aboard the helicopter was the pilot.
The passenger reportedly opened the door and jumped out into the water near the Balboa Pier.
The 60-year-old Caucasian man was hospitalized in critical condition after lifeguards located and rescued the victim. He was pronounced dead at the local hospital.
The helicopter pilot was instructed to land at John Wayne Airport to be interviewed.
The victim was not identified pending notification of next of kin.
The incident was being investigated as a possible suicide, according to the Newport Beach Police Department.
orange county news
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail 8 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video