Orange County News
Lawyer on trial for planting drugs: Testimony focuses on wife's affair
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Testimony continues in the trial of a man accused of planting drugs in the car of a volunteer at his child's school. His estranged wife has already pleaded guilty in the case.
On trial is attorney Kent Wycliffe Easter. Easter listened as an Irvine police officer testified on Tuesday about an affair between Easter's now estranged wife, Jill, and her lover Glen Gomez, an Orange County firefighter.
The court heard how the two would text each other every day, exchanging steamy messages and professing their love for each other.
Yet, the prosecutor alleges out of hundreds of text messages, Jill did not mention her disdain for Kelli Peters, a PTA volunteer at her son's school in Irvine.
Kent, an Irvine attorney, is accused of planting drugs in Peters' car on Feb. 16, 2011. The prosecutor showed hotel surveillance video, where using a fake name, Kent called police to report the PTA volunteer.
Police removed bags of marijuana, Percocet and Vicodin from Peters' vehicle parked at the school. When asked who could have done this, Peters said Jill had told her in the past that she would "get her."
Prosecutors allege problems started a year before. The Easters believed the volunteer didn't properly supervise their son at school.
The defense alleges Jill Easter, not Kent, planted the drugs. Last month, she pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 120 days in jail.
The defense says Jill was a controlling wife. He had no idea she had planted drugs and was just following her orders to call police.
The police officer testified that Jill's lover, Gomez, wore a wiretap to secretly tape Jill.
Jill accused Gomez of turning his back on her. She said, "You think I did something wrong." He tells her, "If you haven't done anything you should be fine." The officer testified he believed she was lying when she told her lover she was not involved.
Soon after, the officer testified Jill did everything she could to destroy Gomez's marriage, including showing his wife explicit texts and nude photos.
Kent Easter could face up to three years in jail if convicted.
legal, orange county news, eileen frere
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case 43 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors