Orange County News
Car slams into pole in Santa Ana; 1 dead
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 20-year-old driver has been arrested after an accident in Santa Ana left one of his passengers dead and three others injured.
Police say Ulises Mendoza was treated for minor injuries and then booked for gross vehicular manslaughter and suspicion of driving under the influence.
Authorities say the single-vehicle accident happened while the car was traveling southbound on the 900 block of North Fairview Street at about 12:15 a.m. Thursday. The driver lost control, causing the vehicle to flip around, and the back side of the car hit the pole.
A 23-year-old man from Santa Ana in the backseat was declared dead at the scene. His name has not been released pending notification of next of kin.
Three other passengers, all 18 years old, were taken to area hospitals: A male passenger remains in critical condition, a female passenger is in stable condition with head injuries and another female passenger was treated for minor injuries and released.
accident, dui, orange county news
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 46 min ago
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City 25 min ago
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour