Orange County News
Jury deadlocks, mistrial declared in Kent Easter case
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A deadlocked jury prompted a judge to declare a mistrial Thursday in the case against Kent Easter, an Irvine attorney accused of planting drugs in a school volunteer's car.
Easter alleges it was his now-estranged wife, Jill Easter, who masterminded the plot in February 2011. Jill Easter was sentenced to 120 days in jail in a separate trial.
The jury began deliberating late Tuesday morning. The seven-woman, five-man panel first announced it was deadlocked Wednesday, so Singer sent the panel home for the day in hopes it could break the deadlock today -- but to no avail. The jury foreman said the panel started out 8-3 with one undecided, but shifted to 11-1 in favor of conviction by Wednesday morning.
"Personally I'm very frustrated," said jury foreman Gary Capozzoli. "The group of 11 felt firmly that guilt was there. And unfortunately the lone vote could not be convinced that that was the case."
Easter had testified that the PTA volunteer, Kelli Peters, didn't properly supervise their son at school. He said his wife became obsessed with getting Peters fired.
Easter says that's why he placed a phone call to Irvine police about Peters hiding drugs in her car. He testified that his wife called him at work after reportedly witnessing Peters driving wildly and popping pills. He said she insisted that he called police.
Easter admits he called police under a fake name, but denies knowing it was a false report. Even so, prosecutors allege it was Kent Easter who planted the drugs.
"The detectives, we counted 15 misstatements in that, so in my mind it just became a case of credibility," said Capozzoli. "I stopped believing what he was saying."
"The 11 jurors thought the defendant was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and that's one of the things that we'll take into consideration in how we proceed," said prosecutor Christopher Duff.
Kent Easter could have faced up to three years in jail if convicted.
City News Service contributed to this report.
legal, orange county news
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 31 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 44 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry