Orange County News
Man, 7-year-old boy killed in Anaheim crash
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- A man and a 7-year-old boy who were killed Monday in a car crash near the 91 Freeway in Anaheim have been identified.
The California Highway Patrol identified Mario Lopez-Alaniz, 25, and Angel Granados, 7, as the two victims killed in the crash.
The driver, 41-year-old Ana Trujillo, is believed to be Lopez-Alaniz's girlfriend and Granados' mother. She was driving a 2003 Isuzu eastbound on the 91 Freeway near Harbor Boulevard at about 12:40 a.m. with Alaniz in the passenger seat and Granados in the back.
According to the California Highway Patrol, the couple got into an argument. For unknown reasons, Alaniz interfered and grabbed the wheel, the California Highway Patrol said. The woman lost control and the car veered off the freeway and into a dirt embankment before colliding with a tree.
Authorities say the female driver was not drunk, but they have not ruled out the passenger may have been intoxicated.
Lopez-Alaniz died at the scene, the California Highway Patrol said. Officials with the Anaheim Fire Department said it took some time to rescue the boy from the SUV because of how badly mangled the car was.
The boy and mother were hospitalized at UCI Medical Center, where the child later died. The woman suffered minor injuries. Authorities say she is fully cooperating.
The California Highway Patrol is looking for witnesses in the case.
According to court records Lopez-Alaniz was on probation after pleading guilty to the sale or transport of a controlled substance last July. Three months before that, he pleaded guilty to driving without a valid driver's license.
Police are investigating to see if drugs or alcohol played a part in his decision to allegedly grab the steering wheel that led to the fatal crash.
CORRECTION: It was earlier reported that Alaniz was the child's father. It was later clarified that the two were not related. The boy's age has also been corrected from 6 to 7.
car crash, freeway, orange county news
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- San Clemente HS lockdown lifted after threat
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss 36 min ago
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease 48 min ago
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Hot yoga: Hazardous for your health?
40 min ago