Orange County News
12 tons of marijuana found after suspected heist reported to police
TUSTIN, Calif. (KABC) -- Twelve tons of marijuana were found in a tractor-trailer after the driver called police about a suspected heist Monday morning.
Tustin police responded to a report of a possible attempted cargo theft on the 1100 block of Warner Avenue just before 8 a.m. Monday.
A tractor-trailer driver hauling electronics from San Diego to Tustin told police that a white panel van with two men inside pulled alongside his truck while moving on the road. The passenger in the van displayed an unknown type of badge on a chain around his neck and demanded the big-rig driver pull over.
The male Hispanic passenger with a thin build appeared to be wearing a black ballistic-type vest, police said. The van's driver, also a Hispanic man, was approximately 30 years old with a shaved beard and wearing gray plaid shorts.
The big-rig driver was suspicious of the unprofessional look of the two men in the van and pulled into a local business where an armed security guard was stationed, and police were called. Police said the van lingered in the area but left before officers arrived.
Police investigated and found that no law enforcement agencies were involved in trying to stop the truck.
During inspection of inventory of the truck, police found approximately 12 tons of marijuana packaged in bricks and hidden in boxes among the electronics.
The truck driver was not suspected of involvement in the illegal cargo, police said.
The marijuana's wholesale value was estimated at more than $7 million.
Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to contact Tustin Police Detective Haug at (714) 573-3246.
marijuana, orange county news
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks