Orange County News
Ratings for dangerous dogs to change in Orange County?
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Orange County Board of Supervisors agreed Tuesday to changes in the rating system for dangerous dogs, but voted against creating a website to map locations of the dogs.
The board agreed to change what defines a vicious dog, opting to rate dogs in a three-level category instead.
A level-one citation would include a dog that causes a person or an animal to take defensive, protective or fleeing action, or bites someone without provocation causing a minor injury.
A level two would include four separate unprovoked incidents or a bite causing substantial injury.
Level three would be the most dangerous dog.
"So a dog who kills a human being or causes severe injury to a human being, that's a level-three dog," said Orange County Supervisor Todd Spitzer.
Animal-control officials already have the power to euthanize an animal involved in a severe attack.
The public may not be able to log on to a website to locate where vicious dogs live but they can still find out where recent incidents have taken place.
"They can contact our agency and find out if there's a specific area they want to know where these dogs are located, they can contact us and our custodian of records and find out that information," said Ryan Drabek, director of OC Animal Care.
Final ordinance approval is set to take place in January when the board meets again.
animal news, orange county news, leticia juarez
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought 41 min ago
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- DUI driver hits sign, car and pedestrian 28 min ago
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres 40 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Alcohol sting busts adults buying for minors 12 min ago
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Tyler The Creator arrested at SXSW festival
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report