Orange County News
Mission Viejo man charged with murder after DUI crash
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. (KABC) -- A 27-year-old Mission Viejo man has been charged with murder after crashing his car into a house, killing a sleeping resident.
Investigators say Kourosh Keshmiri was driving 50 mph in a 25-mph residential area when he lost control of his red Cadillac Sunday at about 3 a.m.
The car slammed into a house in the 26000 block of Pacato Drive and into the front bedroom where 60-year-old Kenneth Jackson was sleeping. Jackson was declared dead at the scene.
When deputies arrived, prosecutors say Keshmiri displayed signs of intoxication and "performed poorly on a field sobriety test."
Keshmiri was already facing a misdemeanor count of driving under the influence of alcohol from a June incident, and his driver's license had been suspended. In addition, he already had a misdemeanor DUI conviction in August 2010.
Prosecutors say Keshmiri had been advised after his 2010 conviction that "he could be charged with murder if he killed another person while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs."
If convicted, Keshmiri faces 15 years to life in state prison. He is expected to be arraigned in a Santa Ana courtroom on Tuesday.
car crash, dui, orange county news
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 40 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 18 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 44 min ago
- Flasher sought for exposing self at Brea Mall 20 min ago
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says
- Pet of the Week: 3-year-old Chow mix Trixie
37 min ago