Orange County News
Mission Viejo man charged with murder after DUI crash
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. (KABC) -- A 27-year-old Mission Viejo man has been charged with murder after crashing his car into a house, killing a sleeping resident.
Investigators say Kourosh Keshmiri was driving 50 mph in a 25-mph residential area when he lost control of his red Cadillac Sunday at about 3 a.m.
The car slammed into a house in the 26000 block of Pacato Drive and into the front bedroom where 60-year-old Kenneth Jackson was sleeping. Jackson was declared dead at the scene.
When deputies arrived, prosecutors say Keshmiri displayed signs of intoxication and "performed poorly on a field sobriety test."
Keshmiri was already facing a misdemeanor count of driving under the influence of alcohol from a June incident, and his driver's license had been suspended. In addition, he already had a misdemeanor DUI conviction in August 2010.
Prosecutors say Keshmiri had been advised after his 2010 conviction that "he could be charged with murder if he killed another person while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs."
If convicted, Keshmiri faces 15 years to life in state prison. He is expected to be arraigned in a Santa Ana courtroom on Tuesday.
car crash, dui, orange county news
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 10 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts