Orange County News
Flu virus kills 28-year-old Orange County woman
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 28-year-old woman died from influenza A (pH1N1)-related disease last week in Orange County, the first flu-related death reported in the county of a person younger than 65 this season.
The influenza A (pH1N1) strain has been circulating since the 2009 pandemic, according to the Orange County Health Care Agency.
Reports of influenza disease have increased recently in Orange County. The majority of those reported cases have been influenza A, and most of those are due to the pH1N1 strain, according to the agency.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently issued an alert about reports from several states of young and middle-age adults becoming ill due to the pH1N1 virus.
Public health officials urge the public to get vaccinated. The CDC recommends an annual flu vaccination for anyone 6 months and older.
People at higher risk for severe influenza illness include people with chronic medical conditions, young children, pregnant women and obese persons.
In addition to getting vaccinated, the Orange County Health Care Agency recommends small actions that will help reduce the spread of flu and other illnesses:
- Stay home if you are sick
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
Vaccinations are widely available from private physicians, pharmacies and other retail businesses in the community. Information about these locations and dates is available at findaflushot.com. Free vaccinations are also available to eligible individuals through the Orange County Health Care Agency. Call the HCA Health Referral Line at (800) 564-8448 or visit ochealthinfo.com/flu or the Centers for Disease Control website cdc.gov/flu for more information.
centers for disease control and prevention, flu, health, orange county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect found after escaping from police 1 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
38 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
33 min ago