Orange County News
Kelly Thomas' dad moves forward with civil lawsuit
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Kelly Thomas' father is still seeking justice after two former Fullerton police officers were acquitted in the death of his son.
Thomas, a 37-year-old mentally ill homeless man, died five days after a violent confrontation with six officers in July 2011. The encounter was caught on surveillance video. Prosecutors said it showed officers abusing their authority and using unlawful excessive force. The defense says the officers were doing their jobs and were faced with a combative suspect.
On Monday, a jury found former police officer Jay Cicinelli and former officer Manuel Ramos not guilty on all charges. Ramos was charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, and Cicinelli was charged with involuntary manslaughter and excessive force.
During a news conference on Tuesday, Thomas' father, Ron, and his attorney, Garo Mardirossian, said they're going ahead with a civil lawsuit to seek justice.
"These officers avoided taking the stand in front of this jury. I've sent out notices, so we'll be deposing them each under oath and then putting them on the stand and having them explain why they did what they did," said Mardirossian.
In 2011, the FBI also opened an investigation into the incident. The FBI says agents will take another look at evidence to determine if Kelly Thomas' civil rights were violated during the altercation with police.
Meantime, Cicinelli is reportedly going to ask for his job back. According to the Orange County Register, he will make his case for reinstatement to an arbitrator.
legal, court case, orange county news, eileen frere
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 1 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre