Orange County News
Buena Park apartment fire blamed on child playing with lighter
BUENA PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- A child playing with a cigarette lighter is getting the blame for an apartment fire in Buena Park.
The second-story fire broke out in a bedroom shortly after 9 p.m. Sunday. It took about 35 firefighters nearly a half-hour to bring the blaze under control.
Six adults and two children were all able to escape, but a small dog did not make it out alive.
"The alarm went off and I went in my bedroom, and when I went in my bedroom, my mattress and all my clothes were totally engulfed in fire. I tried to run in the bathroom to get some water but it had gotten too far," described Mattie Thompson, a resident.
Crews say working smoke alarms helped everyone get out OK. One person was treated for smoke inhalation.
The Red Cross is assisting those who have been displaced.
fire, orange county news
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake 35 min ago
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 16 min ago
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego 41 min ago
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)