Orange County News
Santa Ana fight: 2nd woman arrested; search for 'person of interest'
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A second woman has been arrested and booked for murder in the beating death of 23-year-old Kim Pham outside a Santa Ana nightclub. Police also said they are searching for a third woman (pictured above), calling her a "person of interest."
Police say Pham was standing in line with friends outside a popular nightspot called The Crosby in Santa Ana early Saturday morning when a verbal fight turned physical. Investigators say Pham was kicked and punched until she lost consciousness. She was declared brain dead and was removed from life support Tuesday.
Investigators believe only three women were involved in the physical fight.
The first woman who was arrested, 25-year-old Vanesa Zavala, pleaded not guilty to murder Tuesday. The second suspect in custody was identified only as a 27-year-old woman from Santa Ana.
Zavala is being held on $1 million bond. She is expected to return to court on January 30.
A $10,000 reward is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.
The Crosby will be closed this weekend out of respect for Pham's family.
Meantime, the non-profit One Legacy on Friday said that Pham saved five lives by donating her heart, kidneys, lungs, pancreas and liver. Pham was declared brain dead last Sunday, but she was kept on life support to honor her wish to donate her organs.
Pham's parents issued a statement saying, "We are so blessed to have had Kim in our family because she was truly a one-of-a-kind soul. She always put others' needs before herself and never thought badly of anyone. She kept love in the center of her life and preached kindness and respect for others."
Some in the Vietnamese-American community are calling for Pham's friends to share anything they may know about what happened.
"I'm calling for them to come forward to give their side of the story," said Ken Nguyen, city ambassador for the Vietnamese-American community.
If you have any information or took video of the incident, you're urged to contact the Santa Ana Police Department's Crimes Against Persons Unit at (714) 245-8390. You can also call OC Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.
fight, homicide investigation, orange county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 42 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 43 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 41 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...