Orange County News
Hundreds of snakes found at Santa Ana home
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Santa Ana police served a search warrant Wednesday at a home after neighbors complained about a foul odor. Inside, they discovered hundreds of snakes -- most of which were dead -- as well as live mice and rats.
Authorities say the home in the 2900 block of Fernwood Drive had about 350 ball pythons in deplorable conditions. They were stored in bins that were stacked on top of each other on racks. In all, officials said there were 182 snakes alive and 240 dead.
"Some (were) in boxes, some in crates and some crawling around," said Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
Along with the snakes, live and dead rats and mices were found in the home.
"We have rats that are dead in the cages with the live rats," said Sondra Berg of Santa Ana Police Animal Services. "They've actually become cannibal and eat each other."
The homeowner, identified as 53-year-old William Fredrick Buchman, is in custody for animal cruelty. He is a sixth-grade teacher in Newport Beach, and he has lived at the house on Fernwood Drive his entire life.
Investigators say Buchman is a hoarder and may have lost his grip on reality when his mother died three years ago.
"He started to really spiral downhill in 2011 when she passed away, and it started the hoarding and it just got out of control," said Berg.
Police say they have been called to the house before, and over the past month, they've been called to the house four times because of the odor. Several months ago, Buchman let officers in to the front room, and at that time, the snakes appeared to be healthy.
Officials say they will be looking into whether Buchman was selling the snakes from his house without a proper permit.
animal news, orange county news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 23 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
4 min ago