Orange County News
Fullerton teacher arrested for inappropriate sexual behavior with 2 students
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- An eighth grade teacher in Fullerton was arrested Friday on suspicion of inappropriate sexual behavior with two students.
Melissa Lindgren, 28, of La Mirada, was taken into custody following a joint investigation with Nicolas Junior High School officials. School officials said she admitted to sexual misconduct with two male students.
"They came to their counselor and said there was something improper going on with the teacher," said Fullerton School District Superintendent Dr. Robert Pletka. "And they shared that they felt like something needed to be done. And then as soon as that happened the counselor immediately called the district office, and the district office immediately called the police."
She was arrested within five hours of the boys coming forward. Lindgren is facing multiple felony charges, including child molestation, child annoyance and the dissemination of harmful matter to a minor, which can include sending inappropriate texts, emails or pictures to a minor.
Irene Armenta heard about the arrest when her daughter, who attends the school, saw Lindgren's mug shot on social media. Armenta said her nephew, who's now in the 9th grade, would text with Lindgren late at night.
"It's just shocking because you trust them, you trust the teachers and you hope that all of their intentions are good, but unfortunately not every person is who you think they are," said Armenta.
Lindgren, who has taught math at the school since 2008, was placed on unpaid administrative leave, Pletka said. She was booked at the Fullerton Police Department, and released after posting $100,000 bail.
Eyewitness News attempted to get a comment from a home in La Mirada listed as Lindgren's address, but was turned away by another woman there.
Lindgren was scheduled to appear at the North Justice Center in Fullerton on April 9. The investigation was ongoing.
arrest, sex crimes, orange county news, melissa macbride
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- How food inspectors grade restaurants
4 min ago