Ventura County News
Third fatal stabbing in Ventura County
VENTURA KEYS, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman was found stabbed to death in Ventura Keys, the third fatal stabbing in Ventura County in less than three weeks.
Police said the victim, identified as 61-year-old Wendy Dirodio, was found murdered in her bed on the 2800 block of Sailor Avenue on Wednesday.
- Related: Few leads in murder of Faria Beach parents
- Video: Third fatal stabbing in Ventura County
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Police said Dirodio was last seen by her elderly parents on Wednesday morning.
Dirodio lived at the home with her parents, who were concerned when they hadn't heard from her in several hours. They reportedly used a key to get into her room and found her body at about 3:20 p.m.
"Well it's a little scary. I've lived here for over 45 years, and I honestly just want to know what's going on," said Toni Lake, a Ventura Keys resident.
Authorities have not said whether they saw any signs of forced entry at the home, but on Thursday, residents in the area received an automated phone message from police, telling them to keep their doors and windows locked.
"We're keeping the place locked up better now. We have grandkids that we watch," said Randy Chuning, a Ventura Keys resident.
The murder is just 10 miles from the site of a fatal stabbing of a couple in Faria Beach on May 20.
The son of Brock Husted and his pregnant wife Davina Husted was the one who discovered the victims' bodies. Police said the suspect attacked the couple while their two young children hid in another room.
So far, police have not found any connection between the two cases.
Police said both of the crimes happened in upscale beachside communities in Ventura County.
"Nothing like that happens around here, especially on Sailor. This is supposed to be like the nice, calm area in Ventura," said Michael Gerome, a Ventura Keys resident.
No suspects have been named in either case.
"Wendy was a really outgoing nice gal," said Ventura Keys resident Toni Lake.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Ventura County Police Department at (805) 477-3711.
Eyewitness News Reporters Subha Ravindhran and Sid Garcia contributed to this report.
ventura county news
- Charges expected against sheriff's officials 57 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment 42 min ago
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Nelson Mandela memorial to see world leaders 7 min ago
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut 39 min ago
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke
- Doonya offers Bollywood-inspired workout
54 min ago