Ventura County News
Residents say mountain lion killing pets
SANTA ROSA VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Residents of a Ventura County community believe a roaming mountain lion may be killing their pets. The scene is the community of Santa Rosa valley, nestled between Thousand Oaks and Moorpark.
According to the Santa Rosa Valley resident Lynn Scheck, the family's 97-pound bulldog named Mac was killed and eaten on the front lawn in their Santa Rosa Valley neighborhood.
- Video: Residents say mountain lion killing pets
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
Some of the neighbors say they are taking even more precautions to protect their pets. They said living in this area, you just need to realize you're sharing it with wildlife.
Santa Rosa Valley resident Helena Swietlo has two boxers.
"I don't let them out unguarded. When I let them out I'm with them," she said.
Scheck says she has heard a report of a mountain lion sighting a couple of days ago near her neighborhood. She is convinced a mountain lion has taken up residence in the area.
"The kids are pretty much in, especially during dusk," she said. "You move to a place like this so they can play outside and have fun and dig in the dirt. But right now we're going to wait till this thing settles down. Hopefully this cat will move on."
Fish and Game and Ventura County Animal Control have not confirmed that it's a mountain lion that has been snagging up pets in this neighborhood in recent weeks.
Officials say if you live in an area where you're surrounded by wildlife, make sure children and pets are in from dusk until dawn because that's when animals like coyotes, bobcats and mountain lion are out looking for prey.
ventura county news, sid garcia
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies 45 min ago
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy