Ventura County News
Teen sailor to chronicle sea ventures in book
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (KABC) -- Thousand Oaks teen Abby Sunderland was rescued from her disabled boat in the Indian Ocean. She says she plans to chronicle her sea adventures in a new book.
The Thousand Oaks teenager is also speaking out about her terrifying adventure through her blog.
Sixteen-year-old Sunderland says she was hoping to be found within a few weeks of her accident.
Instead, a French fishing vessel rescued her just three days after she set off her emergency beacons. She was found 2,000 miles off the coast of Australia. Australian officials say they won't seek reimbursement for the cost of the rescue.
Her boat was disabled when a wave brought down its mast and knocked out her satellite communications. Her family says the young sailor has some bumps and bruises but is in good condition.
Sunderland set sail from Marina del Rey in January, hoping to become the youngest person to sail around the world solo. She suffered several setbacks and had to stop in Mexico and South Africa with mechanical problems. She still planned on completing the trip, but with the sail dragging in the ocean she decided she couldn't go much further.
In the meantime, Sunderland says she's hoping to write a book about her adventure.
There were also talks about a reality show featuring Sunderland and her family, but Eyewitness News learned that the deal has fallen through.
ventura county news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 48 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal 25 min ago
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)