Ventura County News
Oxnard teen murder trial could be moved
OXNARD, Calif. -- Attorneys for the young defendant accused of shooting a gay classmate in Oxnard in 2008 are seeking a change of venue for the trial, claiming that the their client cannot get a fair trial in Ventura County because of pre-trial publicity.
Brandon McInerney is charged with fatally shooting gay classmate Larry King in February, 2008 at E.O. Green School in Oxnard.
The case has received national media coverage, which defense lawyer Scott Wippert said has "gotten progressively worse."
The judge will hear the motion to change venue August 23, the same day McInerney is set to go on trial.
Last month Wippert requested a delay in starting the trial but the request was denied. He has now filed a new motion seeking a delay. The new delay request will also be heard Aug. 23.
hate crime, murder, ventura county news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 40 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour