Ventura County News
Oxnard teen murder trial could be moved
OXNARD, Calif. -- Attorneys for the young defendant accused of shooting a gay classmate in Oxnard in 2008 are seeking a change of venue for the trial, claiming that the their client cannot get a fair trial in Ventura County because of pre-trial publicity.
Brandon McInerney is charged with fatally shooting gay classmate Larry King in February, 2008 at E.O. Green School in Oxnard.
The case has received national media coverage, which defense lawyer Scott Wippert said has "gotten progressively worse."
The judge will hear the motion to change venue August 23, the same day McInerney is set to go on trial.
Last month Wippert requested a delay in starting the trial but the request was denied. He has now filed a new motion seeking a delay. The new delay request will also be heard Aug. 23.
hate crime, murder, ventura county news
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search 36 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows into crowd near SXSW
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Mom of wandering boys was supervised by CPS
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- FBI hunting Hawaii for top terror suspect
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons