Ventura County News
Oxnard teen murder trial could be moved
OXNARD, Calif. -- Attorneys for the young defendant accused of shooting a gay classmate in Oxnard in 2008 are seeking a change of venue for the trial, claiming that the their client cannot get a fair trial in Ventura County because of pre-trial publicity.
Brandon McInerney is charged with fatally shooting gay classmate Larry King in February, 2008 at E.O. Green School in Oxnard.
The case has received national media coverage, which defense lawyer Scott Wippert said has "gotten progressively worse."
The judge will hear the motion to change venue August 23, the same day McInerney is set to go on trial.
Last month Wippert requested a delay in starting the trial but the request was denied. He has now filed a new motion seeking a delay. The new delay request will also be heard Aug. 23.
hate crime, murder, ventura county news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Protests against Monsanto held around world 13 min ago
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley 46 min ago
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide