Ventura County News
Oxnard teen murder trial could be moved
OXNARD, Calif. -- Attorneys for the young defendant accused of shooting a gay classmate in Oxnard in 2008 are seeking a change of venue for the trial, claiming that the their client cannot get a fair trial in Ventura County because of pre-trial publicity.
Brandon McInerney is charged with fatally shooting gay classmate Larry King in February, 2008 at E.O. Green School in Oxnard.
The case has received national media coverage, which defense lawyer Scott Wippert said has "gotten progressively worse."
The judge will hear the motion to change venue August 23, the same day McInerney is set to go on trial.
Last month Wippert requested a delay in starting the trial but the request was denied. He has now filed a new motion seeking a delay. The new delay request will also be heard Aug. 23.
hate crime, murder, ventura county news
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 33 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains 46 min ago
- Small plane lands on NB 241 toll road in OC 1 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis