Ventura County News
Military plane crashes, burns in Point Mugu
POINT MUGU, VENTURA COUNTY (KABC) -- A Boeing 707 military tanker plane with three people onboard crashed and burst into flames at the Point Mugu naval air base in Ventura County on Wednesday, fire officials said.
The three passengers escaped with minor injuries.
Large plumes of black smoke could be seen rising from the aircraft on the beach near the Point Mugu Naval Air Station, located about 40 miles northwest of Los Angeles.
The plane is reportedly a Boeing 707 plane, which is considered an older model. It crashed and slid off a runway just before 5:30 p.m. Skid marks indicate the plane slid off the runway as it attempted to take off.
The naval air base issued a flight-restricted-area designation, requiring any aircraft to maintain a distance of at least 5 miles.
About 150,000 pounds of jet fuel was reportedly onboard when the plane crashed. It is not clear if any fuel had gone into the ocean.
Several firefighting agencies were summoned to extinguish the flames from the ground and air. A helicopter dumped several loads of water on the tanker. Firefighters on the ground appeared to be letting the fire burn but were dousing the area around the plane.
There is a possibility of a hazardous-material situation. The smoke and fuel can be toxic. People in the area were warned to stay indoors and away from the smoke.
According to an air station spokeswoman, the tanker is used for fleet operations support and transporting fuel. It is not known where the tanker was headed at the time of the crash.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
plane crash, ventura county news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 1 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny 36 min ago
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds