Ventura County News
Ventura brush fire chars 5 acres near Surfer's Knoll
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- Ventura fire officials battled a 5-acre brush fire in the Santa Clara river bottom near Surfer's Knoll.
The fire was reported at about 3:30 p.m. Saturday.
Officials said the wind was driving the blaze as it charred surrounding mixed brush. Flames reportedly shot up as high as 20 feet.
Fire crews stationed engines near the city's water treatment plant to protect the structure from the blaze.
A Ventura County helicopter and ground crews helped firefighters tackle the flames.
The cause of the fire was under investigation.
brush fire, ventura county news
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event