Ventura County News
Jury selection for Oxnard gay teen shooting case may be lengthy
CHATSWORTH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Jury selection for the trial of a teen charged with killing a gay classmate in 2008 could last well over a week.
Brandon McInerney, 17, will stand trial for the execution-style shooting death of classmate Lawrence King.
The killing happened during class at O.E. Green School in Oxnard in 2008.
Prosecutors later added the hate crime allegation, accusing McInerney of murdering King because he believed the victim was gay.
Pre-trial publicity moved the trial out of Ventura County and into a Chatsworth courtroom.
"I think all parties are ready to get this underway," said Scott Wippert, McInerney's attorney.
Wippert said McInerney was "doing as well as he's expected to do. He's a 17 year old who's standing charges for crimes when he was barely 14, so I can't imagine being in his position at 17."
Attorneys for the prosecution declined to comment.
Wippert said there is no doubt a horrible tragedy happened in 2008, but he does not believe McInerney murdered King, who was 15 years old at the time.
"Regardles of what the jury comes back with, it is not an issue of him going home. The issue is whether he'll receive a life sentence on first or second degree murder or whether he'll receive voluntary manslaughter, which is what we believe actually occurred. It was a crime of passion, so that is our defense."
court case, shooting, school shooting, hate crime, legal, ventura county news, leo stallworth
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 11 min ago
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale 23 min ago
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 3 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)