Ventura County News
2 arrested for alleged hate crime in Ojai
MIRA MONTE, VENTURA COUNTY (KABC) -- Two people were arrested Thursday on suspicion of committing a hate crime.
According to the Ventura County Sheriff's Department, two underage boys, both 17, were threatened by two people in a car while standing near the intersection of Woodland Avenue and Silverspur Street in the Mira Monte area of the Ojai Valley, which is north of Oxnard.
Authorities said Daniel Dockery, 22, and Shauna Criner, 19, both of Meiners Oaks, pulled up to confront the boys. Dockery allegedly identified himself as a skinhead and said he hated Mexicans.
Dockery allegedly shouted sexual and racial slurs at the victims, before getting out of the car and slapping one of the victims in the face. He also claimed to have a handgun and threatened to shoot the victims in the head if they were still there when he returned, detectives said.
Detectives said Dockery and Criner drove away then returned within a few minutes, narrowly missing one of the victims before fleeing the scene.
The victims reported the incident. Detectives then launched a search of the area and found the suspects within the hour when they returned to a nearby convenience store in their car.
Dockery and Criner were arrested for criminal threats. Xanax and Klonopin prescription drugs were found in the suspects' car that were not prescribed to either of them.
Dockery was booked for criminal threats, hate crime enhancement, battery and possession of a controlled substance.
Criner was booked for criminal threats and possession of a controlled substance.
Detectives said the victims and the suspects did not know each other prior to the incident.
arrest, hate crime, ventura county news
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 14 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 41 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 3 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 7 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 9 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
43 min ago