Ventura County News
Oxnard gay-student murder trial: Defense refutes white supremacist motive
CHATSWORTH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The trial continued on Friday for a 17-year-old who is being tried as an adult in the shooting death of a gay classmate at an Oxnard middle school.
The prosecution has tried to show that Brandon McInerney embraces white supremacy and anti-homosexual beliefs. On Friday the defense tried to present a different side of the teenager.
Much of the testimony centered around two corrections officers who watched over McInerney at Ventura County Juvenile Hall Facility where he has been housed since his arrest more than three years ago.
One officer was asked how he got along with the mostly minority inmates he was housed with.
"We don't get too many African-American kids in there but I have seen him interact with different nationalities and have relationships," said corrections officer Chris Niblett.
McInerney is charged with killing 15-year-old Lawrence King at E.O. Green Middle School in Feb. 2008. McInerney, who was 14 years old at the time of the shooting, shot King in the back of the head during their computer class.
McInerney's defense lawyers contend he did it, but not because King was gay. Both officers were shown security video of McInerney involved in three different fights at the juvenile hall. One of the officers says fights happen all the time.
"I know he has been in some fights, more than a handful," said Niblett.
A second corrections officer, Melissa Arguelles, was asked how well McInerney got along with other inmates and staff. Arguelles said he hangs out with everyone. She was also asked if McInerney ever showed any type of gang behavior.
"I have never seen him draw or have any type of a contraband stating that he is a gang member, or see him draw anything of a specific gang," said Arguelles.
If convicted of a murder charge with a hate crime enhancement, McInerney faces 53 years to life in prison.
shooting, court case, murder, ventura county news, sid garcia
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 3 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- Suspects approach women at UC Riverside dorm
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts