Ventura County News
Wreckage of drug-smuggling boat found in VC
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A damaged boat used in an apparent drug-smuggling operation was found along the Ventura County shore.
Officials said they located the panga-style vessel last week near Pacific Coast Highway and Deer Creek Road.
They did not see anyone in the boat, but there were more than a dozen large containers filled with gasoline, packages of marijuana and clothes scattered along the beach.
Authorities searched for occupants for several hours over a one-mile radius, but they did not find anyone.
The type of boat is commonly used for fishing, but it recently has been used by drug and human trafficking smugglers, according to investigators.
At least 250 pounds of marijuana and up to 250 gallons of gasoline were recovered, officials said.
drug cartel, beach, ventura county news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 38 min ago
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)