Ventura County News
Wreckage of drug-smuggling boat found in VC
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A damaged boat used in an apparent drug-smuggling operation was found along the Ventura County shore.
Officials said they located the panga-style vessel last week near Pacific Coast Highway and Deer Creek Road.
They did not see anyone in the boat, but there were more than a dozen large containers filled with gasoline, packages of marijuana and clothes scattered along the beach.
Authorities searched for occupants for several hours over a one-mile radius, but they did not find anyone.
The type of boat is commonly used for fishing, but it recently has been used by drug and human trafficking smugglers, according to investigators.
At least 250 pounds of marijuana and up to 250 gallons of gasoline were recovered, officials said.
drug cartel, beach, ventura county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 12 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 35 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...