Ventura County News
Stranded pedestrian lights fires along Ojai roadway
OJAI, Calif. (KABC) -- The Ventura County Sheriff's Department was seeking an arson suspect Friday in the Ojai area.
Deputies responded to a call Wednesday at 8:42 p.m. of a domestic disturbance and arson.
Residents near the 5000 block of Casitas Pass Road called to report a couple in a parked car near Wiggy Ranch were arguing. The female driver drove away toward Carpinteria in a brown Toyota sedan and left the male passenger near the ranch's entrance.
That man then reportedly began walking westbound toward the Santa Barbara County line. According to the sheriff's department, further witnesses called to report the man had been starting small fires along the roadway.
The suspect was described as a male Caucasian in his 30s, standing about 6 feet tall, with blond or red hair, wearing a white T-shirt and dark shorts.
Sheriff's deputies, a K-9 unit, California Highway Patrol officers and a helicopter were called in to search for the suspect, who was last seen on the 7000 block of Gobernador Road.
The suspect was not found.
Firefighters doused the fires along the roadway. An arson investigator at the scene confirmed the fires were arson-related.
In the morning, sheriff's deputies continued the search for the suspect and additional evidence in the area.
The investigation remained open Friday.
Anyone with information related to the case should contact Ojai Valley Station detectives at (805) 646-1414.
Ventura County Crime Stoppers will pay up to $1,000 reward for information which leads to the arrest and criminal complaint against the person(s) responsible for this crime. The caller may remain anonymous. The call is not recorded. Call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (8477).
arson, ventura county news
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale 35 min ago
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Damaged trains being removed from Conn. site 53 min ago
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge