Ventura County News
Off-duty deputy fires on suspects in Moorpark
MOORPARK, Calif. (KABC) -- An off-duty Ventura County Sheriff's deputy fired at suspects in unincorporated Moorpark Monday night.
According to the department, an off-duty deputy confronted thieves in a vehicle on private property on the 13300 block of Broadway Road at about 9:50 p.m.
Fearing he was about to be run over, the deputy reportedly fired his gun at the dark-colored SUV in defense.
An extensive search for the suspects was launched, including ground units, canines and an air unit, but the suspects were not located.
No area hospitals reported treating anyone for gunshot wounds.
The incident is under investigation. The deputy was placed on paid administrative leave, standard procedure in officer-/deputy-involved shootings.
Ventura County Crime Stoppers will pay up to $1,000 reward for information, which leads to the arrest and criminal complaint against the person(s) responsible for this crime. The caller may remain anonymous. The call is not recorded. Call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (8477).
deputy-involved shooting, shooting, ventura county news
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event