Ventura County News
Off-duty deputy fires on suspects in Moorpark
MOORPARK, Calif. (KABC) -- An off-duty Ventura County Sheriff's deputy fired at suspects in unincorporated Moorpark Monday night.
According to the department, an off-duty deputy confronted thieves in a vehicle on private property on the 13300 block of Broadway Road at about 9:50 p.m.
Fearing he was about to be run over, the deputy reportedly fired his gun at the dark-colored SUV in defense.
An extensive search for the suspects was launched, including ground units, canines and an air unit, but the suspects were not located.
No area hospitals reported treating anyone for gunshot wounds.
The incident is under investigation. The deputy was placed on paid administrative leave, standard procedure in officer-/deputy-involved shootings.
Ventura County Crime Stoppers will pay up to $1,000 reward for information, which leads to the arrest and criminal complaint against the person(s) responsible for this crime. The caller may remain anonymous. The call is not recorded. Call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (8477).
deputy-involved shooting, shooting, ventura county news
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants