Ventura County News
Simi Valley drug bust: heroin, cash, cars seized
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Police in Simi Valley announced on Friday that they broke up a multi-tiered drug trafficking cell.
Officers seized over 5 pounds of heroin, worth nearly $300,000, along with $120,000 in cash and five cars.
Local, state and federal agencies were involved in the six-month probe of a heroin-trafficking operation.
On Wednesday, after executing search warrants in Sylmar and Arleta authorities arrested three suspects.
"The rate they were doing business over a one-year period, that would equate to a $6-million-a-year business," said Simi Valley Police Lt. Dave Livingstone. "So it was a very significant cell that was shut down with our investigation."
Jose Carillo-Flores, 23; Joseph Ortiz, 20; and 39-year-old Jose Medina Zepeda have all been booked on charges including possession of illegal narcotics for sale.
"It's my understanding that these three individuals are from out of our town," said Simi Valley Mayor Bob Huber. "We want the word to go out loud and clear: You come across our borders to hurt our children, we're going to catch you and you're going to prison."
Investigators also seized more than $120,000 in cash and five vehicles.
In the last six months, several young people have died from heroin abuse in Simi Valley.
drug war, arrest, ventura county news, amy powell
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 15 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 6 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2