Ventura County News
Oxnard New Year's Day shooting suspect sought
OXANRD, Calif. (KABC) -- A search is under way for a man who allegedly shot a 21-year-old woman just outside of her home in Oxnard on New Year's Day.
At about 2:30 a.m., the woman walked out of her residence on the 200 block of Riverpark Boulevard. She was confronted by a male suspect who shot her and fled the area.
The victim was hospitalized but has since been released.
Officers with the Oxnard Police Department responded to the scene and interviewed witnesses. Upon further investigation, detectives identified Alexander Joel Mendez, 27, as the suspect. A warrant for attempted homicide has been issued for his arrest. Authorities say he should be considered armed and dangerous.
Mendez is described as a Hispanic male about 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighing about 160 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. He drives a 1990 Chevrolet Lumina with California license plate 2WCJ445.
If you have any information about this case or Mendez's whereabouts, you're urged to contact the Oxnard Police Department at (805) 486-7386.
shooting, new year's day, ventura county news
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested 21 min ago
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy