Ventura County News
Simi Valley stabbing murder victim likely targeted
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- The stabbing murder of a retired teacher in Simi Valley may not have been a random killing, police say.
Janice Somple, 65, was found stabbed to death in her home on Thursday night. Her body was discovered by a friend, who reported the crime to police. Authorities interviewed that friend and determined he was not involved in the incident.
After finishing their on-scene investigation, detectives said they found evidence that indicates Somple was deliberately targeted, and that the investigation is taking them out of Simi Valley.
The killing has shaken up Simi Valley, considered one of the safest cities in the country.
Anyone with information regarding this case is urged to call the Simi Valley Police Department at (805) 583-6969.
homicide investigation, murder, stabbing, ventura county news
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event