Ventura County News
Gang member arrested after shooting at police
SANTA PAULA, Calif. (KABC) -- A documented gang member on parole was arrested after shooting at officers in Santa Paula Friday. He was wounded in the hand when an officer returned fire.
Santa Paula police officers in a marked patrol vehicle attempted to stop a pedestrian who crossed an intersection against traffic at about 11:45 p.m. Friday.
The officers pulled into a shopping center entrance to contact the suspect. The suspect then turned to face the officers with a handgun in his hand, according to police.
The suspect then reportedly fired an unknown number of rounds at the officers. The driving officer returned fire, striking the suspect in the hand. Neither officer was injured, but the vehicle was struck by a bullet.
The suspect then fled the scene. Police set up a perimeter to search for the suspect. With the assistance of Ventura Police Department, Ventura Sheriff's Department, California Fish and Game, California Highway Patrol and the Ventura County Sheriff's helicopter, the suspect was located hiding in an apartment unit entrance alcove.
The suspect was arrested. He was found to be on probation with active outstanding warrants for weapons violations. Police said the suspect is a documented gang member in Santa Paula.
The investigation was ongoing. Anyone who witnessed the incident was urged to call the Santa Paula Police Dept. at (805) 525-4474.
officer-involved shooting, gang activity, ventura county news
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Winkler removed from Saugus school board
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies 48 min ago
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- abcnews: TWA 800 crash not accident - investigators 33 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to Jeep recall over fire risk
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy