Ventura County News
Ventura River parkway plan aims to develop area
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Ventura River isn't much of a destination spot these days. Not only is it polluted and overgrown, it's a haven for the homeless. All of that may soon change. The Friends of the Ventura River organization detailed a plan Wednesday that promises to transform the area.
Julie Peterson fears a proposed plan to turn the Ventura River into a beautiful parkway will uproot her and her friends from the place they have called home for years. For decades, the Ventura River had a reputation for being a haven for the homeless.
"Where are we going to go? We're going to go up to the streets where they really don't want us. This is where we live. That is going to cost so much money. Why don't they turn it into something for us?" said Peterson.
The river is located near downtown Ventura. Ventura County Supervisor Steve Bennett says all residents should be able to enjoy it and he believes the parkway plan is a great plan.
"We want to connect the ocean with the mountains with a recreation trail that goes up the river," said Bennett. "We want to connect the city with the river so that people feel much more ownership and we don't have this just be a place for people to escape."
"What we really want to do is convert what exists there today into an asset to the community where we have trails and public access," said Paul Jenkin, part of Friends of the Ventura River.
Bennett says the plan is in its infancy and funding has yet to be discussed. He says he and other proponents of the parkway are looking into how to help the homeless in the area find other shelter.
Officials say no matter what, the Ventura River deserves a facelift sooner rather than later.
ventura county news, leo stallworth
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'