Ventura County News
Police report catalytic-converter thefts rising in city of Ventura
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Ventura Police Department issued a public warning Thursday for city residents to be aware of an increase in thefts of catalytic converters from vehicles since July 1.
Police said seven were reported stolen in July and six in August to date. The types of vehicles targeted were all Toyotas.
Since July 1, five Toyota pickup trucks, five 4-Runners, and three unknown Toyota models all had their catalytic converters stolen. From January to June 30, 2012 pickup trucks were targeted twice, 4-Runners three times, and unknown Toyota models twice.
Some suspect/vehicle info was reported in some of the incidents. A 1980s-90s silver Ford Explorer with gray bumper; a possible white newer model truck with a heavyset Hispanic female in it; and a silver Ford Mustang with tinted windows were seen in the area before some of the respective thefts.
Ventura Police offered tips to help prevent thefts:
- Be vigilant and to please immediately report any and all suspicious activity to us at 805-650-8010 (24 hr. non-emergency number) or 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Set your alarm if you have one.
- Good lighting is often one of the best deterrents to burglary. Whenever possible try to park in a well lit area and if possible install lighting/motion lights where you tend to park your vehicle.
- If possible, park your car in your garage.
- Talk to your family, friends, and neighbors and get involved in a Neighborhood Watch program. In an effort to facilitate a virtual Neighborhood Watch program and help foster neighbor-to-neighbor communications, our department has partnered with Nextdoor.com, a private social network for neighborhoods.
Police offered some helpful sites for more information on catalytic-converter theft:
auto news, burglary, ventura county news
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, man shot 1 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 5 min ago
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident 33 min ago
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela 5 min ago
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes