Ventura County News
Master's College exchange student killed after sand pit collapsed on him in Oxnard
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Clarita college student died when a sand pit collapsed around him Wednesday at Oxnard Beach Park.
Oxnard firefighters say 19-year-old South Korean exchange student Mingyu Sang joined friends in digging a 6- to 8-foot hole in the sand at Oxnard Beach Park Wednesday afternoon.
The incident happened shortly before 5 p.m. on Wednesday at the Oxnard Beach Park. Bystanders say the 20-year-old was at the bottom of the hole he and his friends were digging, when it collapsed on him.
It took firefighters 15 minutes to dig him out. The young man was rushed to Ventura County Medical Center with CPR in progress, but he was later pronounced dead.
It was supposed to be a fun day, a school-organized trip to the beach for a group of students from the Master's College in Santa Clarita.
When Sang, known by friends as "Paul," got into the hole to take a picture, it collapsed. He was buried alive.
Sang spent his high school years in Santa Clarita.
beach, accident, ventura county news, leo stallworth
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour