Ventura County News
Master's College exchange student killed after sand pit collapsed on him in Oxnard
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Clarita college student died when a sand pit collapsed around him Wednesday at Oxnard Beach Park.
Oxnard firefighters say 19-year-old South Korean exchange student Mingyu Sang joined friends in digging a 6- to 8-foot hole in the sand at Oxnard Beach Park Wednesday afternoon.
The incident happened shortly before 5 p.m. on Wednesday at the Oxnard Beach Park. Bystanders say the 20-year-old was at the bottom of the hole he and his friends were digging, when it collapsed on him.
It took firefighters 15 minutes to dig him out. The young man was rushed to Ventura County Medical Center with CPR in progress, but he was later pronounced dead.
It was supposed to be a fun day, a school-organized trip to the beach for a group of students from the Master's College in Santa Clarita.
When Sang, known by friends as "Paul," got into the hole to take a picture, it collapsed. He was buried alive.
Sang spent his high school years in Santa Clarita.
beach, accident, ventura county news, leo stallworth
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain 8 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate 15 min ago