Ventura County News
Off-duty Beverly Hills cop crashes truck into Simi Valley house, gets arrested for DUI
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- An off-duty Beverly Hills police officer was arrested after allegedly crashing his truck into a house in Simi Valley.
The crash happened around 10:20 p.m. Tuesday. Authorities said Jeffrey Sweet, 42, of Simi Valley, was driving eastbound on Royal Avenue when he failed to negotiate a curve at Blackstock Avenue. His vehicle hit a home, downed a telephone pole and came to rest upside down on the retaining wall of a second home.
Nearby residents helped Sweet get out of the vehicle. No one else was involved in the crash. Sweet did not have any visible injuries, but he was transported to the Simi Valley Hospital after complaining of pain. He was medically cleared and arrested on suspicion of DUI.
Two homes were immediately evacuated because Sweet's vehicle had sheared the gas service line to one residence. Emergency crews were able to close the gas service line, preventing a fire from erupting.
Power was restored in the area and Royal Avenue was reopened by Wednesday afternoon.
No one was seriously hurt.
Meantime, neighbors said accidents are common in the area.
"This corner is crazy over the past few years," said resident Jeff Jenson. "I've been here in this neighborhood 40 years. I've probably seen at least 30 accidents on this corner. I think the corner is so sharp."
There was no answer at Sweet's residence Wednesday. He's expected to be charged with a misdemeanor DUI.
arrest, car crash, dui, ventura county news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway 10 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Some CA cities seek water independence 3 min ago
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 27 min ago
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office 49 min ago
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians