Ventura County News
Man arrested for 1980 murder of Oxnard teen
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- A 65-year-old man from Fairfield, Ala., has been arrested for the 1980 murder of a 15-year-old Oxnard girl.
Authorities say Stacy Knappenberger was found dead in her home in the 5300 block of South J Street in Oxnard on July 30, 1980. She had multiple stab wounds, and investigators also believed she had been sexually assaulted.
The Oxnard Police Department conducted an extensive investigation, but was unable to make an arrest. The case was re-examined in 2000, and then two years later, a DNA match identified Thomas Young as the suspect.
Young was taken into custody on Thursday and was booked at the Jefferson County Jail. He is currently awaiting extradition to Ventura County.
Anyone with information about the case is urged to call Ventura County Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477.
murder, homicide investigation, arrest, ventura county news
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Oak Hills bust nets nearly 2K pot plants
- Suspect shot, hurt after aiming gun at police
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Yosemite park's tourist amenities at stake 45 min ago
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles 21 min ago
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video