Ventura County News
Man arrested for 1980 murder of Oxnard teen
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- A 65-year-old man from Fairfield, Ala., has been arrested for the 1980 murder of a 15-year-old Oxnard girl.
Authorities say Stacy Knappenberger was found dead in her home in the 5300 block of South J Street in Oxnard on July 30, 1980. She had multiple stab wounds, and investigators also believed she had been sexually assaulted.
The Oxnard Police Department conducted an extensive investigation, but was unable to make an arrest. The case was re-examined in 2000, and then two years later, a DNA match identified Thomas Young as the suspect.
Young was taken into custody on Thursday and was booked at the Jefferson County Jail. He is currently awaiting extradition to Ventura County.
Anyone with information about the case is urged to call Ventura County Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477.
murder, homicide investigation, arrest, ventura county news
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments