Ventura County News
Lottery scam nearly costs woman life savings
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A common lottery scam nearly cost a 61-year-old Ventura woman her life savings.
Authorities say the victim was walking near her home Thursday afternoon when two women approached her and told her they had a winning lottery ticket, but they could not cash the ticket because they were not citizens.
The suspects convinced the woman to exchange their ticket for a large sum of money, and drove with the victim to the bank. When the victim explained why she was withdrawing all of her savings, a bank employee recognized the scam.
Police responded to the scene, but the suspects had already fled.
fraud, ventura county news
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 50 min ago
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Coyotes search for water in IE communities
27 min ago
- Immigrants gather for rally in Sacramento
51 min ago