Ventura County News
Lottery scam nearly costs woman life savings
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A common lottery scam nearly cost a 61-year-old Ventura woman her life savings.
Authorities say the victim was walking near her home Thursday afternoon when two women approached her and told her they had a winning lottery ticket, but they could not cash the ticket because they were not citizens.
The suspects convinced the woman to exchange their ticket for a large sum of money, and drove with the victim to the bank. When the victim explained why she was withdrawing all of her savings, a bank employee recognized the scam.
Police responded to the scene, but the suspects had already fled.
fraud, ventura county news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Southern California heat expected to die down 52 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians