Ventura County News
Pair of attackers in Pierpont Beach beatings sought
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- Two men were hospitalized after they were beaten Thursday night, a little more than an hour apart, at South Seaward Avenue and the beach in Ventura. Investigators are puzzling over a motive for the attacks.
Ventura Police say Thursday night around 6:30 two men severely beat up a 43-year-old homeless man in an area at Pierpont Beach south of Seaward Avenue in Ventura.
"Due to the severity of the injuries the victim suffered, he was knocked unconscious and kicked in the head while he was on the ground," said Ventura Police Commander Brock Avery. "So we're still trying to interview him and get his best recollection of the incident."
"We did have several witnesses and we know there were two suspects involved in this attack. And then about an hour and a half later at the same location, the two same suspects attacked another victim."
Police say the second victim was a contractor from Riverside working in Ventura on a project. They say he was staying at a hotel near the beach and wanted to see the sunset when he was jumped and beaten.
"The attack was almost identical to the first attack," said Avery. "There was a gentleman enjoying the beach when both suspects approached him, punched him in the face, knocked him unconscious and kicked him several times while he was on the ground."
People say there is no clear-cut motive for the attacks.
"There were words exchanged but nothing in hostile tones. It was a random, violent, unprovoked attack on both victims," said Avery.
Police say both victims were taken to a hospital, treated for their injuries and released. The suspects fled the scene and remain on the loose.
"That beach is safe," said Avery. "We called our major crimes investigators in on this case when we learned how severe it was, and they are working leads as we speak."
If you have any information that can help, you are urged to call Crime Stoppers" at (800) 222-TIPS.
ventura county news, leo stallworth
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- Swift to perform at Billboard Music Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested