Ventura County News
Massive tree falls in Fillmore; 3 homes damaged
FILLMORE, Calif. (KABC) -- A massive tree crashed to the ground in Fillmore on Monday, taking out power lines and damaging three homes.
It was a very loud wake-up call for people living on the 500 block of Saratoga Street when the tree fell just after 6 a.m. No one was injured but nerves were rattled.
"I was scared," said Ida Patino of Fillmore. "I thought it was an earthquake."
Juan Marquez says the tree was in the backyard of his sister's rental home. He says his sister felt the tree was dying and pleaded with the city to allow her to cut it down, but the city refused.
Marquez also said the city told his sister that the tree was historic, but Fillmore Fire Chief Rigo Landeros said he was unable to confirm that information.
Crews worked to restore power to residents and haul away the debris. Officials do not have a damage estimate.
power outage, ventura county news, leo stallworth
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up 59 min ago
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire 43 min ago
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace 33 min ago
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- James Franco seeks $500K to bankroll movies 18 min ago
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)