Ventura County News
Massive tree falls in Fillmore; 3 homes damaged
FILLMORE, Calif. (KABC) -- A massive tree crashed to the ground in Fillmore on Monday, taking out power lines and damaging three homes.
It was a very loud wake-up call for people living on the 500 block of Saratoga Street when the tree fell just after 6 a.m. No one was injured but nerves were rattled.
"I was scared," said Ida Patino of Fillmore. "I thought it was an earthquake."
Juan Marquez says the tree was in the backyard of his sister's rental home. He says his sister felt the tree was dying and pleaded with the city to allow her to cut it down, but the city refused.
Marquez also said the city told his sister that the tree was historic, but Fillmore Fire Chief Rigo Landeros said he was unable to confirm that information.
Crews worked to restore power to residents and haul away the debris. Officials do not have a damage estimate.
power outage, ventura county news, leo stallworth
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 38 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 1 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 17 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator 28 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'