Ventura County News
Knife-wielding student, 11, threatened officers on Ventura school roof
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 11-year-old student sparked a tense standoff on the roof of a school, where he threatened police with a knife.
Ventura police officers received a call at about 2:15 p.m. Tuesday, stating that a distraught student was on the roof of the Cabrillo Middle School's gymnasium with a large knife. When officers arrived, the student was uncooperative and refused to put down the knife.
According to police, the student said he would kill anyone who tried to come up on the roof. Officers tried to talk to the student, but he would not comply and put the knife down. Instead, he made stabbing gestures with the knife and made verbal threats toward the officers and his mother.
While police spoke to the juvenile, officers climbed up toward the roof, trying to get closer to the student. After several failed negotiations, officers were able to distract the student enough for him to briefly drop the knife. That's when officers grabbed the juvenile and took him into custody.
The school was temporarily put on lockdown during the incident. The student was turned over for psychiatric evaluation. No one was injured.
school, ventura county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect found after escaping from police 7 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
57 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
52 min ago