Ventura County News
Knife-wielding student, 11, threatened officers on Ventura school roof
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- An 11-year-old student sparked a tense standoff on the roof of a school, where he threatened police with a knife.
Ventura police officers received a call at about 2:15 p.m. Tuesday, stating that a distraught student was on the roof of the Cabrillo Middle School's gymnasium with a large knife. When officers arrived, the student was uncooperative and refused to put down the knife.
According to police, the student said he would kill anyone who tried to come up on the roof. Officers tried to talk to the student, but he would not comply and put the knife down. Instead, he made stabbing gestures with the knife and made verbal threats toward the officers and his mother.
While police spoke to the juvenile, officers climbed up toward the roof, trying to get closer to the student. After several failed negotiations, officers were able to distract the student enough for him to briefly drop the knife. That's when officers grabbed the juvenile and took him into custody.
The school was temporarily put on lockdown during the incident. The student was turned over for psychiatric evaluation. No one was injured.
school, ventura county news
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 48 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 1 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis