Ventura County News
Ventura man arrested for attempting to pawn stolen surfboard
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 26-year-old Ventura resident was arrested Monday for possession of stolen property and commercial burglary after he attempted to pawn a stolen surfboard at a sporting goods store.
Authorities say employees at Play It Again Sports at 4705 Telephone Road called the Ventura Police Department around 4:15 p.m. Monday after Matthew Merrion attempted to pawn a surfboard that was reported stolen by a fellow Ventura resident.
The victim, 34-year-old Brian Stimson, had reported two surfboards stolen from the back of his truck in the 5100 block of Lafayette on Sept. 5.
During the investigation, police say officers learned that Merrion had also stolen and hidden Stimpson's second surfboard in his residence. The two surfboards were recovered and returned to Stimpson.
The suspect was also arrested on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia, officials said. Merrion was taken into custody and booked at the Ventura County Jail.
arrest, burglary, ventura county news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 18 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 1 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 13 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
24 min ago
- Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
23 min ago