Ventura County News
Ventura man arrested for attempting to pawn stolen surfboard
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 26-year-old Ventura resident was arrested Monday for possession of stolen property and commercial burglary after he attempted to pawn a stolen surfboard at a sporting goods store.
Authorities say employees at Play It Again Sports at 4705 Telephone Road called the Ventura Police Department around 4:15 p.m. Monday after Matthew Merrion attempted to pawn a surfboard that was reported stolen by a fellow Ventura resident.
The victim, 34-year-old Brian Stimson, had reported two surfboards stolen from the back of his truck in the 5100 block of Lafayette on Sept. 5.
During the investigation, police say officers learned that Merrion had also stolen and hidden Stimpson's second surfboard in his residence. The two surfboards were recovered and returned to Stimpson.
The suspect was also arrested on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia, officials said. Merrion was taken into custody and booked at the Ventura County Jail.
arrest, burglary, ventura county news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 56 min ago
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 27 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 59 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 25 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 15 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks