Ventura County News
Ventura man arrested for attempting to pawn stolen surfboard
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 26-year-old Ventura resident was arrested Monday for possession of stolen property and commercial burglary after he attempted to pawn a stolen surfboard at a sporting goods store.
Authorities say employees at Play It Again Sports at 4705 Telephone Road called the Ventura Police Department around 4:15 p.m. Monday after Matthew Merrion attempted to pawn a surfboard that was reported stolen by a fellow Ventura resident.
The victim, 34-year-old Brian Stimson, had reported two surfboards stolen from the back of his truck in the 5100 block of Lafayette on Sept. 5.
During the investigation, police say officers learned that Merrion had also stolen and hidden Stimpson's second surfboard in his residence. The two surfboards were recovered and returned to Stimpson.
The suspect was also arrested on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia, officials said. Merrion was taken into custody and booked at the Ventura County Jail.
arrest, burglary, ventura county news
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- $50K reward announced in murder of 7-year-old
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- Man burns to death, may have been stealing gas
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- SD man charged in 'revenge porn' site case 48 min ago
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- Missing Nevada couple, 4 children found safe
- abcnews: Alleged cow abuse at DiGiorno supplier
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- Gabor Xmas party to go on amid spending fight
- OTRC: Kate Winslet, Ned RocknRoll welcome baby
- Nativity scene stolen from Temecula yard
35 min ago