Ventura County News
Oxnard storage unit explosion prompts evacuation
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- An explosion on the 700 block of Arcturas Avenue in Oxnard prompted an evacuation and injured several people Thursday just before 10 p.m.
An Oxnard police officer was conducting a traffic stop when he heard an explosion nearby. The officer located a fire at a storage unit location.
The Oxnard Fire Department responded, extinguished the fire and cleared the area of safety issues. Several storage units were damaged.
Several people sustained "very minor" fire-related injuries, according to police.
The cause of the fire was under investigation. During the investigation, firefighters and officers discovered a substantial legal marijuana cultivation system.
It was not immediately clear in which unit the explosion occurred.
Oxnard Code Compliance personnel investigated the building for code violations.
explosion, fire, ventura county news
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 59 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 2 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 31 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought 52 min ago
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'