Ventura County News
La Conchita train crash kills man trying to save dog
LA CONCHITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man trying to save his dog from an oncoming train near La Conchita was struck and killed.
The man, who has yet to be identified, was trying to get his dog out of the tracks as a northbound passenger train approached at 2:41 p.m. Tuesday. The man was not able to get himself out of the way and was struck. He was pronounced dead at the scene, but his dog survived.
The engineer of the Amtrak train said he initiated emergency procedures as soon as he saw the man on the tracks, but the train did not stop in time.
According to witness statements and evidence at the scene, Ventura County deputies believe the incident was a tragic accident.
train accident, ventura county news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat 35 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla. 17 min ago
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks