Ventura County News
Search for bear that attacked woman near Ojai called off
OJAI, Calif. (KABC) -- The search has been called off for a mother bear that attacked a woman just outside of Ojai Friday.
Wardens with the Department of Fish and Game searched throughout the weekend but found no trace of the bear.
The 50-year-old woman was walking her three dogs around 7 a.m. in an area adjacent to the Los Padres National Forest when she came across the black bear and her cub.
The mother bear scratched the woman's wrist, causing a one to two inch laceration.
The bear reportedly then knocked the woman down, but left when the woman played dead.
No word on what provoked the attack but mother bears are known to be extremely protective of their cubs.
animal news, ventura county news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 6 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap 10 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)