Ventura County News
Search for bear that attacked woman near Ojai called off
OJAI, Calif. (KABC) -- The search has been called off for a mother bear that attacked a woman just outside of Ojai Friday.
Wardens with the Department of Fish and Game searched throughout the weekend but found no trace of the bear.
The 50-year-old woman was walking her three dogs around 7 a.m. in an area adjacent to the Los Padres National Forest when she came across the black bear and her cub.
The mother bear scratched the woman's wrist, causing a one to two inch laceration.
The bear reportedly then knocked the woman down, but left when the woman played dead.
No word on what provoked the attack but mother bears are known to be extremely protective of their cubs.
animal news, ventura county news
- Metro Red, Purple lines to require Tap Card
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash 10 min ago
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Winkler removed from Saugus school board
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions 2 min ago
- abcnews: TWA 800 crash not accident - investigators
- Chrysler agrees to Jeep recall over fire risk
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy