Ventura County News
Ventura homeless man beaten by robbery suspect at encampment
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A robbery suspect may face battery charges after brutally beating a homeless 60-year-old man in Ventura.
Officers responded to a call of an injured subject possibly from a robbery near the area of a growing homeless encampment along the railroad tracks adjacent to Harbor Boulevard and California Street Friday around 9:42 p.m.
When they arrived, officers found Jeffrey Frey suffering from serious wounds to his face.
Authorities said Frey and a friend were sleeping in the encampment when another homeless man approached their tent, started threatening to rob them and began hitting Frey in the face. The victim's unidentified friend jumped in and began fighting the suspect in Frey's defense before grabbing Frey, fleeing the encampment and calling 911.
Responding officers transported both Frey and the unidentified homeless suspect, who was located nearby in the encampment, to Ventura County Medical Center for treatment of their injuries.
The investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with information about this crime is urged to call the Ventura Police Department at (805) 339-4343.
fight, robbery, ventura county news
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car 8 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 57 min ago
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94 47 min ago
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis