Ventura County News
Motorcyclist's video released after fatal crash to find other rider
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (KABC) -- A teenager's last motorcycle ride was caught on camera. Investigators have released the video in hopes of finding a witness who was riding alongside the victim.
Thousand Oaks police say 19-year-old Christian Eitelbach had a small video camera mounted on his motorcycle while he rode through Decker Canyon Road on Nov. 3.
Eitelbach was riding alongside another motorcyclist. Police say soon after Eitelbach and the other rider left the canyon road and entered the busy streets of Thousand Oaks, the teen slammed into a car and was killed.
"It appears from statements that we got at the scene and also the video evidence, that there was probably some street racing going on," said Sgt. Eric Buschow of the Ventura County Sheriff's Department. "They were at a red light, they were stopped, there was a car in between the two motorcycles, and it appears they both accelerated really quickly."
Detectives say the other motorcyclist could be facing charges once they catch him.
"Potentially, this would be felony street racing because it resulted in injury or death," Buschow said.
Investigators say the motorcyclist riding alongside Buschow failed to stop and render aid when the accident happened.
"There's the human factor. How can you see somebody have such a horrific crash and not even stop? Not even check on him," Buschow said.
Police say they released the video hoping someone will recognize the unidentified rider and help police find him.
"All we know right know is that he was riding a black motorcycle, wearing all black leather gear, black helmet," Buschow said. "We could not see the license plate on the video footage, so it's possible that he did not have a license on the back of the bike."
Anyone with information is urged to call the Ventura County Sheriff's Department Traffic Bureau at (805) 494-8271.
accident, caught on tape, street racing, ventura county news, leo stallworth
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 attacked by bees in La Cañada Flintridge 3 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 16 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 39 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks