Ventura County News
Off-duty deputy won't face prosecution for fatal crash that killed ex-Marine
FILLMORE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy will not be prosecuted for causing a deadly crash while apparently suffering a seizure.
Michael Cedarland drove into a Starbucks last December while apparently suffering a seizure.
He hit Sergio Mendez, a retired Marine and Iraq war veteran. Mendez was sitting in a chair when Cedarland's SUV crashed through the building and pinned him against a wall.
Mendez died in surgery.
After a yearlong investigation, authorities determined Cedarland was not at fault.
car crash, ventura county news
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 38 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
36 min ago