Ventura County News
Ventura police arrest gas station car theft suspect
VENTURA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man is in custody facing stolen vehicle charges after stealing a Chevrolet truck from a gas station in Ventura.
Douglas Jon Walzer, 45, of Ventura was arrested near Ocean and Seaward avenues around 4:40 p.m. Friday.
The suspect allegedly stole a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado Work Truck as the owner, identified as Ronald Merkes of Ojai, went inside a gas station to pay to pump fuel. Merkes was inside the Spirit Gas station, located in the 400 block of Thompson Boulevard, when he heard his vehicle start and accelerate away.
After spotting Walzer speeding through intersections near the scene of the crime, responding Ventura police officers conducted a high risk-stop and arrested him. Witnesses at the gas station identified the suspect as the person who stole the vehicle.
Walzer was taken into custody and booked for stolen vehicle charges at the Ventura County Jail.
arrest, burglary, ventura county news
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge
- East LA coach pleads no contest to molest 22 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker