Ventura County News
Camarillo residents warned of coupon book scam
CAMARILLO, Calif. (KABC) -- Camarillo police are warning residents of a coupon book scam run by someone claiming to be with the Boys and Girls Club.
Authorities say earlier this week, a black female carrying a clipboard approached a home and told a resident that she was selling a coupon book for $80 to benefit the Boys and Girls Club. The woman told the resident that if he bought the book, he would need to pick it up at the local Boys and Girls Club.
The resident ended up purchasing the coupon book and wrote a check to a company called "La Familia Management Company." He told authorities that he received a receipt with an address out of Aurora, Ill.
When the victim went to the Boys and Girls Club with his receipt, club officials told him there was no such program and that he had been scammed. The Camarillo Boys and Girls Club made it clear it's not selling coupon books and have not authorized anyone else to sell coupon books on its behalf.
If you have been a victim of this scam, call the Camarillo Police Department. Investigators emphasized that solicitors are required to have valid permits, and advised residents to ask solicitors to show their permits issued by the city of Camarillo or by City Hall.
If the solicitor does not have a permit, appears to have a fake one or acts suspicious, you're urged to call 911 immediately. Authorities even urged residents to note the suspect solicitor's car's make, model, colr and license plate number if possible.
If you have any information that can help investigators with this case, call Ventura County Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
fraud, scams, ventura county news
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 52 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants